Saturday, November 23, 2013

Happy Birthday Mama

I wrote this in 1998 as a mother's day present for my mom.  I post it as a birthday present to her on what would have been her 89th Birthday. 


I look down at my hands and think.  “Whose hands are these?  
    Certainly not mine, they look like Blanche’s.”
freckly spots
creases and lines
worn fingernails
smooth touch
caring and loving

I look in the mirror at my face and think.  "Whose face is this?  
       Certainly not mine, it looks like Blanche’s”
laugh lines
furrowed brow
more freckly spots
classic beauty
a few stray gray hairs

I look into my eyes and think.  "Whose eyes are these?  
    Certainly not mine, they look like Blanche’s”
a certain sparkle
wit
honesty
intelligence
wisdom

I look into the eyes of my son and think.  "Whose child is this?  
    Certainly not mine, he looks like Blanche’s” 
smart
funny
curious
cute
spunky

I look into my heart and think.  "Whose heart is this?  
       Certainly not mine, it looks like Blanche’s” 
kind
loving
generous
compassionate

spiritual


Mom & Artie 1993

Mom, Artie & Ralphy 1994

No comments:

Post a Comment