Sunday, February 26, 2012

How I Gave Up Easter for Lent

Since our Artie started UC Berkeley this fall we breeze in and out of town with not nearly enough time to explore. Although I am new to using Groupon, when a chance to stay at the Berkeley City Club for half price came up I jumped at the opportunity.    A stay in a posh hotel (at half price), have a little weekend get-away and spend a little time with our son in his own environment. 

The Groupon savvy realizes that deals of this sort have requirements and restrictions. When I called the hotel for reservations, I found they were nearly booked up.  Fortunately there was one room left – the weekend of my son’s 19th birthday.  I thought, “How lucky for us.”  Gorgeous room with a view in Julia Morgan’s “Little Castle”, spend the weekend exploring Berkeley with hunky hubby and get to be with my son on his birthday.  Like a gift from Heaven!
Secretly, I realized our son wouldn’t be able to come home his birthday weekend this year.  He is busy with his studies and most probably wants to spend time with his friends.  This way we could have the best of both worlds.  A nice birthday dinner and he'd still have freedom to celebrate with his friends. 
Ironically when I made these lovely plans I. never checked the calendar.  When I finally consulted Pink Book I was in shock.  What on Earth did I do?  My son’s birthday weekend coincides with Easter Sunday.  My heart came to a full-stop.  For the past um-teen years hunky hubby and I have hosted Easter Sunday brunch – complete with egg hunt.   Oh my.  
2011 Easter Egg Hunters
Take a minute to go back with me in time.  Easter Sunday Brunch, eaten alone at a Jack-In-The-Box about 30 years ago.  A holiday spent alone without family, brunch or so much as a single Easter egg.  Decades later, I’m a little sad to not to uphold the almost 20 year Easter Brunch tradition. Am I holding on to the need for a 20 year tradition because I’m afraid of ending up alone?    So that is how I ended up giving up Easter for lent.  I have faith that this break in tradition will bring new hope and rich opportunity for growth. 
For info on Berkeley City Club go to:  http://berkeleycityclubhotel.com/ 

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet story! When I read your posts, I think about how much I want to create traditions the way you have, in your family. You are an excellent role model.

    ReplyDelete